24/7 Emergency Service

"We care about your air"

(708) 318-0804

​16w273 83rd St. Suite A2

Burr Ridge, IL. 60527

Cardinal Heating & Cooling

What You Need To Know About Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide is often called the “silent killer” because of it's odorless, colorless and tasteless qualities. It can be found in your home from your furnace, fireplace and gas locations. It’s important to keep this deadly gas out of your home. Here's what you should know about carbon monoxide.

What Happens During Monoxide Poisoning?

When you breathe carbon monoxide (CO), it harms the ability of your blood to transport oxygen. The poisoning is a result of not receiving enough oxygen. The result of this is typically asphyxiation, which is the state or process of being deprived of oxygen. It’s critical that you know the symptoms of monoxide poisoning. The list is quite long and there can be a variety of different factors. However, typical symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea, impaired judgment, visual changes and walking problems. If you notice you’re experiencing these symptoms, turn off the source (if you are aware of the source), move to fresh air and get away from your home as quickly as possible and call 911

What Causes Monoxide Leaks?

The three most common household appliances that typically contribute to carbon monoxide gas leaks are boilers, heating systems 
and gas fires. You can create carbon monoxide Even if you’re running your car engine in an enclosed space. Vulnerability to blocked flues and chimneys, which prohibits the gas from escaping can cause toxic levels as well.

Best Practices For Prevention

The first step to take when trying to prevent a carbon monoxide leak is to check your chimney and fireplace. A clogged chimney presents risks of carbon monoxide poisoning or fire. You should check for any obstructions like birds nests or debris. You should also make sure there is no significant soot buildup, as it can be a dangerous fire hazard. Excess creosote, over 1⁄8 inch (0.3 cm) or 3 mm, can ignite in the flue and send flames shooting out the top of the chimney. With a flashlight, inspect the flue damper to make sure it opens, closes, and seals properly.

Next, you should check your HVAC vents for proper airflow. Double-check around your house to make sure that nothing is blocking your heating vents. Blocked vents are not only useless since heat can't get out, but they can also drive your heating up. In addition, a blocked vent can result in an overheated furnace. Lastly, you should install Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detectors and Alarms. Carbon monoxide detectors essentially work the same as smoke detectors. The only difference is that they detect levels of carbon monoxide rather than smoke. If you’re curious about carbon monoxide in your home, give us a call or 
contact us.